Thursday, June 21

Have we forgotten?


My brother is a Tulane University alumni, and I believe he found his soul while studying down in New Orleans. I wonder if it weren't for him, would I have already forgotten about all that happened when Katrina hit, all the struggle and heartache that city has gone through since then and the uphill climb they still have in front of them?

It's hard for me to follow the news everyday and often both my husband and brother are my eyes to the world outside building blocks and toy trains. I know the media has significantly slowed it's coverage in New Orleans, in essence dimming the 'Katrina Disaster' light shown to the country. Because we are such a media driven country, we turn our attention to Paris Hilton in jail and Katie Holmes second pregnancy.

I know I am as much to blame for being complacent as the next person. In my heart I know there are things we can all do to help the people of New Orleans. My brother sent me this graphic novel on New Orleans and Hurricane Katrina. Even in the smallest way, I hope this blog post helps, that maybe it reminds us all and maybe hurts the heart a little and makes you want to do something more again.

I know many of you are helping and are probably reading this thinking 'how dare she assume no one's doing anything!' Well let us know what you're doing and how the rest of us can help by leaving a comment here on my blog for the hundreds of readers who frequent my site on a daily basis, although small it will make an impact.

Thanks all for stopping by! Love to all, Liz

1 comment:

Bethalow said...

Liz- I only wish I could say I was doing something! I am appreciative that you left this post and will attempt the graphic novel soon. Thanks for sharing!